Monday 19 December 2011

Internet Anonymity

Let's be honest, it doesn't exist. You might have noticed I haven't given my name on this blog, the reasons for that are vast. I'm sure however, that if someone wanted to find out who the cynical undergrad is they could do it handy enough, such is the nature of modern technology.

It's a stupid, stupid system we currently have, whereby people would say things in person or to someones face, but would not write it down by any means, via email, forum, blog post etc. People have become far too afraid of being sued or defamed and what has resulted is political correctness gone mad. You could say I'm hypocritical in that sense, as I am victim to it myself, I suppose you would be correct. However, I'm drawing from experience, on two different occasions I've been called out on things I wrote on the Internet, nothing overly serious, but an inconvenience all the same. What always got to me was that on both occasions I was one of many, my part was no more than many others, but both times I had to take the fall. I suppose they knew I had the most to lose, and the others just wouldn't give a shit, sometimes I wonder if that was where I went wrong?

I discuss this whole issue of Internet anonymity a lot these days. Realistically, there's no way of knowing who can see what, who can read all our emails etc, access all our information and details. Major institutions get hacked all the time, so I doubt it's impossible to hack my university email? The problem with this is that it's getting increasingly difficult NOT to do things on line, and I don't envisage that changing in the near future.

You might be asking what the fuck I'm on about, to be honest I've just asked myself the same question, this doesn't really have anything to do with university or anything, just another rant I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment